Sunday, November 23, 2003

My Little Fish Bowl

In our discussion group at FBC today the talk came around to what Heather and I are feeling led to be a part of and about whether or not the church(FBC) supported us or not.

It was clear that many of them do support us, but it did not take but a few moments to get to the topic of cults, structure, lack of structure and leadership.

There was nothing that I could have said so I didn't try because I knew I didn't have the words. Very frustrating!

*"WARNING! WARNING! DANGER, WILL ROBINSON!"*

Because I've only ever done church this...'residual' way, with all it's structure and leadership, yeah I do have my own concerns and things I will look out for, but it makes me realize how the church does so much out of fear. Which is us trying to do things by our own understanding in stead of remembering that it is just about loving our neighbor. But with all the 'structure' and 'leadership' in the traditional church has that really kept bad things from happening? NO! And if you're really paying attention at all you would realize that it is the cause of a lot of problems if not sometimes a temptation in it's self.

Someone mentioned how I need to be 'readied' before I go. But....the problem is there is no one there to disciple us for this. Our church is like that spider plant in the hanging pot that does not have the ability to let the baby spider plants root themselves in the soil without them being snipped off. They just hang there.(got the spider plant thing from watercarriers website)

Goodness I want out of this little town/fish-bowl!

Yes, there are lot's of temptations and stumbling blocks out there, but let us not forget that God is with us. It's not What Would Jesus Do? it's What Is Jesus Doing? And my faith is worth nil if I keep it boxed in.

I feel like a rat in a cage.

No comments: