Friday, December 26, 2003

exeGeses

Ok. Numerous books on Christian subjects were given to my grandfolks and I was told to look through them and take what I wanted. One of my family members told me that I should grab the "exeGeses parallel Bible". So, I picked it up and brought it home.....I need some help here. It seems to me that what it has done is taken the KJV, translated and transliterated some words they didn't find were translated and transliterated correctly and have, what they claim to be, a presentation "written with awe and reverence in the classic contemporary language of today."

I mean I like the 'exegeses' in there. It's good info, that I assume to be accurate being uneducated, but the rest of it.....I don't know.

What is it that is to be translated? The exact letter or the message/story? Is this really helpful to the common person? I thought that an "exegesis is the careful, systematic study of the Scripture to discover the original, intended meaning." The everyday-non-expert person, like myself (who does desire to be discipled) is not always trained the best at this.

What is it that is not to be added to or taken away from? The message or each individual letter? Is a literal transliteration necessary? Is this really a literal translation and transliteration? Is the 'exegesis' in the left column even accurate?

It is something new I have never come across before and I am leery of it.

Thoughts? Advice? Comments?

I've also picked up "The Training of the Twelve" by A. B. Bruce. Have any of you read this?

No comments: